Chief Geotechnical Engineer
Job no: 976333
Work type: Permanent
Location: Melbourne Head Office - VIC
We are currently recruiting for a Chief Geotechnical Engineer to provide strategic stewardship for our geotechnical engineering requirements across the group, while ensuring geotechnical risks at Newcrest continue to be managed at an industry leading standard.
This is a new position for the organisation and the successful applicant will become a trusted advisor to General Managers and Executive General Managers on material geotechnical matters across the business.
Reporting directly to the Head of Mining, as part of the Group Technical Services team, your duties will include:
- Being the designated owner of corporate geotechnical standards, guidelines, procedures, and work method statements for both open pit and underground mining operations;
- Reviewing and where necessary defining design and construction criteria, for geotechnical applications in both the open pit and underground mining environment;
- Aiding sites in the identification and rectification of geotechnical design or execution shortfalls;
- Participating in strategic mining reviews to help ensure ore bodies are safely mined in a manner that optimises value and reduces risk;
- Undertaking or overseeing geotechnical projects in support of current operations, studies, capital projects, and M&A opportunities; and
- Developing the capability of the geotechnical team (both corporate and site) to achieve business objectives as well as their own personal development needs.
This is a full time position that is based at our corporate headquarters on St Kilda Road in Melbourne.
At Newcrest, you'll be part of a diverse team of business professionals committed to our people and the communities in which we operate. We value diversity of thought, style and working arrangements.
Our ideal candidate will be a tertiary qualified Geotechnical Engineer with extensive mining industry experience as a Geotechnical Engineer / Senior Manager or Consultant, covering both Open Pit and hard rock Underground Mining (bulk and selective mining methods). Additionally, while not essential, exposure to the design and management of tailings storage facilities, as well as the management of soft rock or soil slopes would also be beneficial. Finally, you will have demonstrated success in delivering step change sustainable improvements to geotechnical systems and processes.
Newcrest is the largest gold producer listed on the Australian Securities Exchange and one of the world’s largest gold mining companies.
Our people work together across locations in Australia, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Indonesia and Côte d’Ivoire and in every location, our people live our values and share our vision of being the Miner of Choice™. We’re committed to supporting a safe, diverse and inclusive culture where our talents and differences are valued. If you’re looking for a rewarding career that offers world-class opportunities, talk with us.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Newcrest.
Please note we may consider applications on an ongoing basis and therefore encourage you to apply at your earliest opportunity.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
careers.newcrest.com.auMiner of choice™