Back to search results Apply now
Job no: 978197(RPO)
Work type: Permanent - Full Time
Location: Cadia Valley Operations - Orange NSW
We are currently looking for an Engineer to join our Geotechnical Team at Cadia Valley Operations in Orange, NSW during a very exciting period of transformation. Reporting to the Senior Geotechnical Engineer, you will be working on an advanced new project developing the excavations for our new mine as an integral member of the team providing strong geotechnical support and services to Underground and Surface Operations.
Your key responsibilities will also include but not be limited to:
- Completed through your regular time in the field, characterise the rock mass strength, structure and stress regime by collating and summarising data attained through engineering observations, core logging, laboratory testing and mapping of new development.
- Evaluate the executed excavation shape, sequence and completed excavation against the plan to ensure tolerances of the design are not exceeded to maintain a minimum safe standard for all personnel, infrastructure and equipment on site
- Verify that all excavations remain within their intended function, with any changes requiring a full re-evaluation to ensure they meet the current approved ground control standard
- Identify and implement business improvement through problem solving, innovation and technology to improve the way we do business
- Working with the team to help mitigate all major geotechnical hazards on site with a strong emphasis on communication of ground awareness training and regular updates to operational crews
- Every individual in the Geotechnical Department is given their training plan when they start which reflects their role and responsibilities.
This is a full-time permanent residential role working on a 5/2 roster.
Cadia Valley Operations (CVO) is located in central western New South Wales approximately 25 kms outside the vibrant regional town of Orange. Employees reside in the varied accommodation options in Orange and the surrounding areas and enjoy access to the area’s wide range of amenities, including a prominent health sector, excellent educational facilities, shopping, transport and other services such as childcare. Working at CVO offers a unique opportunity for employees and their families to enjoy a mining career while living in a large active, local community.
To succeed in this role, you will be safety focused, team-oriented person who enjoys a technically challenging work environment and can hit the ground running. You will be familiar with ground characterization, ground control systems and design, and you already have a sound knowledge of rock mechanics.
You will also possess the following:
- Tertiary qualification in Geotechnical, Civil or Mining engineering
- Previous experience with tunneling design
- Previous experience in hard rock underground mining is highly desirable
- Proficiency with 3D modelling software desired but not essential (Leapfrog, Vulcan, Surpac, etc.)
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills
Newcrest is the largest gold producer listed on the Australian Securities Exchange and one of the world’s largest gold mining companies.
Our people work together across locations in Australia, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Indonesia and Côte d’Ivoire and in every location, our people live our values and share our vision of being the Miner of Choice™. We’re committed to supporting a safe, diverse and inclusive culture where our talents and differences are valued. If you’re looking for a rewarding career that offers world-class opportunities, talk with us.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Newcrest.
Please note we may consider applications on an ongoing basis and therefore encourage you to apply at your earliest opportunity.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
careers.newcrest.com.auMiner of choice™