Back to search results Apply now
Geotechnical Engineer - Monitoring & Establishment
Job no: 978226(RPO)
Work type: Permanent - Full Time
Location: Cadia Valley Operations - NSW
We are currently looking for an engaged and experienced Engineer to join our Geotechnical Team at Cadia Valley Operations in Orange, NSW during an exciting period of expansion. Reporting to the Senior Geotechnical Engineer, you will be developing the monitoring systems for our new development project at Australia’s largest underground gold mine.
In this newly created role you have the opportunity to be involved from the beginning in installing a monitoring system for our block caving establishment. Other key responsibilities will include:
- Completing regular under evaluations of the actual excavation performance and rock mass response to mining against the forecast deformation and seismic hazard
- Verifying all excavations remain within their intended design limits with respect to deformation capacity to ensure they meet ground control standards
- Characterising the performance of the monitoring systems by collating and summarising data attained through engineering observations and instrumentation
- Executing upgrades and expansions to all monitoring system that do not meet the minimum requirement for our excavation management and cave establishment
- Completing periodic reporting on cave monitoring and excavation management with respect to the insitu performance of excavations against their initial designs and forecasts
- Updating and implementing all standards and procedures relating to excavation management and performance and major hazard monitoring
Cadia Valley Operations (CVO) is located in central western New South Wales approximately 25 kms outside the vibrant regional town of Orange. Employee’s reside in the varied accommodation options in Orange and the surrounding areas and enjoy access to the area’s wide range of amenities, including a prominent health sector, excellent educational facilities, shopping, transport and other services such as child care. Working at CVO offers a unique opportunity for employees and their families to enjoy a mining career while living in a large active, local community.
We are looking for an individual that thrives in project environment and has excellent organisational skills. You will also have the following:
- Previous experience in mining (or transferable industry) within underground hard rock environments;
- Experience in identification and assessment of major hazards, risk mitigation and ground monitoring techniques;
- Minimum of 2 years' experience with in solving geotechnical issues.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in geotechnical, mining, or civil engineering. Tertiary qualifications in geology disciplines will be considered along with prior experience.
Newcrest is the largest gold producer listed on the Australian Securities Exchange and one of the world’s largest gold mining companies.
Our people work together across locations in Australia, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Indonesia and Côte d’Ivoire and in every location, our people live our values and share our vision of being the Miner of Choice™. We’re committed to supporting a safe, diverse and inclusive culture where our talents and differences are valued. If you’re looking for a rewarding career that offers world-class opportunities, talk with us.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Newcrest.
Please note we may consider applications on an ongoing basis and therefore encourage you to apply at your earliest opportunity.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
careers.newcrest.com.auMiner of choice™