Back to search results Refer a friend Apply now
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Job no: 979139
Work type: Permanent - Full Time
Location: Red Chris Mine - Canada
Discover what’s possible with us
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued and supported to bring their whole unique self to work. We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Our Red Chris mine is located on the traditional territory of the Tahltan and we encourage qualified applicants from the local communities to apply. We offer several designated marshalling points within BC including Nanaimo, Vancouver, Kelowna, Kamloops, Williams Lake, Prince George and Smithers.
Reporting to the Superintendent – Technical Services, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Accountable for the Surface Ground Control Management Plan with geotechnical input from short term through to the Life of Mine planning cycle
- Facilitating the wider effectiveness of the Geotechnical Team
- Provide geotechnical engineering advice to Mine Planning and Mine Operations;
- Provide geotechnical hazard training to Mine Technical and Operations personnel;
- Supervise geotechnical related contractors;
- Provide guidance to drill and blast engineers to ensure slope stability issues are considered;
- Liaise with geotechnical related consultants;
- Monitor mine operations conformance to design;
- Participate in and drive pit design optimisation
- Participate in/drive open pit design-based risk assessments
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 8 years mine/geotechnical engineering experience, or similar, preferably in an open pit mine
- Tertiary qualifications in either geological, geotechnical, mining, geology or civil engineering disciplines
- Leadership experience and training
- Experience with tunnel engineering, soil slope engineering desirable
- Practical knowledge of rock mechanics, soil mechanics, rock mass rating systems, geotechnical modelling, slope design and ground support design
- Sound knowledge of basic slop stability analysis techniques
- Sound knowledge of hazard identification and risk analysis techniques
- Strong presentation, reporting and data analysis skills
- Working knowledge of the following is considered an asset: MineSight mining software, Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point and Access, Rock Mechanics numerical modelling software
Our commitment to you
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, please apply online before the advertised application closing date.
Advertised: Atlantic Daylight Time
Applications close: Atlantic Daylight Time
careers.newcrest.com.auMiner of choice™