Senior Geotechnical Engineer – Underground
Job no: RR10000089
Work type: Permanent - Full Time
Location: Telfer Operation
Experience a connection with us at Newcrest
Our history is a big part of who we are today. Our experience in the exploration, discovery, development and operation of gold mines has driven our growth globally and delivered competitive shareholder returns. Whether you are part of our offices, or at one of our sites near or far, you will find so much more than you expect. As we expand into new territories, you will find opportunities to grow with us.
Operations near and far
Located in the Great Sandy Desert in Western Australia, Telfer is a fly in out fly out operation from Perth which recognizes the importance of work-life balance. Our comfortable, well furnished rooms include Foxtel, and our site offers quality food with healthy options, medical care, sports and recreation activities. Families are welcomed several times a year to open days to support our community feel at Telfer.
Who we are looking for
As a motivated and team orientated Senior Geotechnical Engineer in our Underground Department at Telfer, you will look after the underground ground support monitoring and ensure all work is carried out in a safe, structured, agreed and timely manner. Reporting to the Geotechnical Superintendent, this role will actively support all geotechnical aspects of the Underground operations: including geotechnical and monitoring data collection, evaluation & interpretation of geotechnical design and providing timely recommendations.
As a trusted and valued member of the team, you will ensure absolute compliance with legal requirements and company objectives and provide support to develop, coach and mentor team members to continuously improve their knowledge and skills and relationship interactions. In addition, you will have the opportunity to get involved in Newcrest’s industry leading Geotechnical Hazard Management system.
Other key deliverables of this role include:
- Audit for compliance assurance of the geotechnical major hazard management and scaling management plan
- Complete inspections to ensure the safety of critical mine infrastructure
- Monitoring the geotechnical QAQC systems for non-compliance and rectification; scheduling ground support audits to meet targets outlined in the QAQC management plan
- Manage the seismic and deformation monitoring systems and the interaction of the underground operation with the Open Pit
- Implement strategies to maximise operational efficiency
To succeed in this role, you will be a safety-focused professional who enjoys technical challenges. Your exceptional interpersonal skills will see you promote a site wide, team-based culture between employees, departments and contractors.
In addition to the above key skills, the below skillset will set you up for success:
- Degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Geological Engineering or equivalent
- Proven experience as a Geotechnical Engineer in underground hard rock mining
- Experience in a seismic mine and exposure across different mining methods such as sub-level cave, narrow vein stoping or open stoping
- Competent in the use of seismic software such as IMS, mXrap, Map 3D or similar
- Previous supervisory or leadership experience will be highly regarded
Please note: This is a permanent position that will work on a FIFO (8/6), flying out of Perth.
Our commitment to you
Ownership is part of how we work. You will be part of a high-performance culture that is building our future. While structure and processes guide how we work, we continue to find opportunities to be nimble and collaborative.
Newcrest is also committed to building a diverse workforce. Our strategic focus is on gender diversity and diversity to reflect the communities in which we operate. Creating an inclusive culture will enable us to leverage the richness of cultures across our workforce and the capability of our diverse employees to get better business outcomes.
If you are seeking a new career challenge, where you can transfer your existing skills, into a positive and empowering team environment, we’d love to hear from you!
At this stage, we are not accepting any external agency CVs for the opportunity.
Advertised: W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: W. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Refer a friend Apply now
careers.newcrest.com.auMiner of choice™