Back to search results Refer a friend Apply now
Specialist - Plant Metallurgist
Job no: RR10000255
Work type: Permanent - Full Time
Location: Cadia Valley Operations
Discover what’s possible with us
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Newcrest’s growth journey as we expand our operations both locally and abroad. At Cadia you will play a part in the expansion of our Tier 1 operation developing Cadia into one of the largest, safest, most cost effective and technologically advanced block caving mines in the world. Currently we are undertaking stage three of Cadia’s mine life strategy by further developing our underground mine to include its 3rd panel, as well as increasing our ore handling and processing capability.
As a company we are highly skilled at identifying and turning large-scale deposits into Tier 1 assets with one of the lowest all in sustaining costs in the mining industry. Our extensive experience in block caving, processing, utilising the latest technology and techniques positions us as a world leader in our field.
Operations near and far
Cadia Valley Operations is located in Central Western New South Wales, approximately 25 kms outside the vibrant regional township of Orange and a convenient three hours from the capital city of Sydney. Employees reside in varied accommodation options in and around the district of Orange with the surrounding area’s occupied by winery’s, stone fruit orchards, farming and national parks.
Employees have access to the area’s wide range of amenities, including a prominent health sector with a modern well-equipped regional hospital, excellent educational facilities, shopping, large selection of sport and recreation options, transport and other services such as childcare.
Who we’re looking for
Reporting into the Metallurgical Superintendent, a permanent opportunity has arisen for a driven Specialist Plant Metallurgist to lead and support a team of high performing Plant Metallurgists and graduates to improve the metallurgical and operational performance of the concentrator and provide technical support to the Operations group. A function performed all whilst maintaining a safety behaviour and cost commitment consistent with the Newcrest values. Focus on medium to long term technical issues to ensure maximum and sustainable profitability of the business.
A few key responsibilities will include;
- Addressing current metallurgical issues and provide recommendations for future improvements
- An active involvement in processing plant commissioning tasks, providing robust product for the operating team and delivering on expected performance gains
- The identification and rapid implementation of improvement opportunities, actively seeking opportunities for increased free cash flow and reduced costs
You will be safety focused, team oriented, enable and drive continuous improvement and be willing to strive for results. Relationship building, drive and strategic thinking are second nature to you.
You’ll have a relevant degree qualification in in Metallurgy, Mineral Processing or Chemical Engineering. Ideally you will also have the following;
- Extensive exposure to mineral processing operations.
- Experience with metallurgical accounting processes and systems in gold mining applications
- Demonstrated leadership and people management of a team in a technical context
- Demonstrated continuous improvement experience and effective delivery of continuous improvement projects
- Exposure to SAG milling, gravity concentration and flotation unit processes within the gold / base metal industry
- Experience commissioning major projects
- Demonstrated mass balancing and simulation capability with common software package (JKSim, Limn, SysCAD)
Our commitment to you
The welfare of the communities in and around our operations is critically important to us. Through engagement and investment, we build and maintain close relationships with our local communities, ensuring our work creates a positive social impact.
Keeping our people safe and healthy is our most important asset. Our commitment to safety, health and wellbeing is supported by systems and standards that embed our safety culture.
Cadia is a smoke free site since 1st January 2020.
At this stage, we are not accepting any external agency CVs for the opportunity.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
careers.newcrest.com.auMiner of choice™