Technician - Laboratory Services
Job no: 979889
Work type: Permanent - Full Time
Location: Lihir Operations
Globe 24-7 in partnership with Newcrest Mining, is working together to source talented individuals to join their Process Plant, Metallurgy Team at their Lihir Gold Operations (LGO) in Papua New Guinea.
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, they aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
At Newcrest, they hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together, and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem-solving.
We are seeking a Technician – Laboratory Services for a residential position on Lihir Island, PNG. Reporting to the Supervisor – Laboratory Services, you will be required to operate laboratory services equipment safely at low cost to provide quality and timely technical data to support the department achieve production targets as directed by the Supervisor Laboratory Services.
The role will have responsibility to:
- Conduct housekeeping, 5S tasks, and perform prestart checks/inspection on lab equipment as directed by Supervisor Laboratory Services.
- Perform tasks including collecting samples from the process plant, receiving samples from clients then proceed with sampling, sample preparation of mill and mine samples using lab equipment as per relevant SOP’s and within all safety, environmental and company compliance processes and guidelines.
- Operate lab equipment including weighing balance, pressure filters, drying ovens, jaw crushers and pulverisers and be able to perform basic equipment maintenance or calibration checks and advising Supervisor of the need for Work Notifications for any defects or hazards found in the area.
- Participate in skills training, shift handover communications, toolbox meetings and any other activities as required by Supervisor Laboratory Services.
- Minimum level Grade 12 education.
- Basic computing skills including Microsoft office suite, in particular Word and Excel.
- Well-developed verbal & written communication skills, including English.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously from time to time.
- High attention to detail with good time management skills.
- Strong active listening & interpersonal skills
- The ability to speak/understand English, Tok Pisin, and local Lihirian dialect would be highly advantageous
- Any previous laboratory experience within mining, power, or oil and gas industries (highly desirable).
- Any exposure to/or experience in the SAP program
- Must be able to provide Lihirian Village Population Number (VPS)
- Ability to successfully complete a pre-employment medical assessment.
- Must have proof of a completed Police Clearance within the last six months.
Newcrest’s commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions, and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share these values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, please apply online before the advertised application closing date.
Advertised: West Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: West Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now
careers.newcrest.com.auMiner of choice™